Friday, January 31, 2014

Jealous

Lyla, my 3 year old came into the room just minutes ago and said "mommy I'm not jealous!" That was an odd thing for her to say but it got me thinking. Jealous according to thefreedictionary.com
1.Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position.
 2. a. Resentful or bitter in rivalry; envious: jealous of the success of others.
 b. Inclined to suspect rivalry.
3. Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy, apprehension, or bitterness: jealous thoughts.
 4. Vigilant in guarding something: We are jealous of our good name.
5. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous God.

 This is something children struggle with on a daily basis, hence the title of my blog. Eli came running at me screaming, "No, mine! No, mine!". I don't think the feeling of jealously ever really goes away. Lucy,6, will come home from school to tell me classmate has this cute jacket and she needs one, you could replace the jacket with anyting given the day. I try my best to tell her that the way she is, right now is good enough, she doesn't need to dress or have the same things as her friends.She needs to be happy with what she does have.  I try so hard to make sure she is happy with herself, and I struggle with the same problem daily. It is hard for me to watch her and know that she may have similar struggles as I had. I am trying to give her the tools to handle them even though I am using those same tools even now. Growing up is rough and I am sure I am going to screw things up occasionally but I do the best I can and I know she know's she is loved, that's most important.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jayna. I think that the jealous bug sneaks up and bites us all the time. Lucy is adorable just as she is! :D

    ReplyDelete